Stephen Sansom Interview

Wednesday, May 12, 2010


I interviewed Mr. Stephen Sansom, Latin and classics teacher, on the reasons that the Roman Empire fell. Sansom gave two main reasons for the fall of Rome: the economic system was based on solely conquering lands for expansion and the stealing of resources and slaves from foreign tribes. He said, “When Romans were no longer able to conquer foreign lands, their entire economic system collapsed because of the like of resources, funding, and slaves.” (Sansom). Romans were very intuitive and technologically advanced therefore they were able to exploit the resources of foreign lands in many useful ways. They used the ideas of the Etruscans to build arches and invented structures like the aqueducts and roads. However, when Rome could no longer take advantage foreign people and land they ran out of resources and manpower, slaves, to do the jobs necessary to the empire. Sansom also claims the barbarians and their ability to make allies helped them take over the western empire. Overall, Stephen Sansom believes the reason Rome fell was due to their lack of conquering new lands which hurt their economic system through resources, money, and slaves.
I thought this interview was very valuable because I was able to learn new things not only about the fall of Rome itself, but also about the Roman Empire as a whole which helped me understand better why it fell. Mr. Sansom provided me with multiple book sources that would help me further understand this topic. I learned about the tribes that Rome conquered and the things that Rome was able to take away from them. He also talked about the reasons why Rome flourished, which helped further my knowledge on why Rome fell. With Mr. Sansom being a Latin and Greek language expert, he taught me some new words that enriched the interview and helped me to understand more about Romans. I thought this interview was helpful because Stephen Sansom is a very knowledgeable person on the time period and brought many good ideas to my research topic. He is also extremely cool. Vale

Sansom, Stephen. Telephone Interview. May 7, 2010.

0 comments:

Post a Comment